teisipäev, märts 25, 2008

mälupulk

Why is my life filled of tiny dramas like this one? Yesterday, at Euronics, I set about trying to find a 'memory stick' so that I can transport handy things like PowerPoint presentations from place to place.

The trouble was that I couldn't find it, and I was terrified to ask the müüja (seller) because I couldn't remember the words for 'memory stick' in Estonian. Memory is mälu, but the only word I know for 'stick' is kepp.

Kepp is a very troublesome word because it can also be used as a euphemism for sex, that is to say kui Tõnu kepib Triinu, he's really 'stickin' it' to her. Kepp is simply not for polite talk, and I was afraid that if I asked for a mälu kepp, the müüja might get some unwholesome ideas.

Fortunately, at that point, I spied the memory sticks on the other side of the store. And there it was written mälupulk. Ah, yes, pulk -- the word Estonians use to denote a 'stick' without any inappropriate innuendo. Pulk as in pulgakomm (lollipop), huulepulk (lipstick), and soolapulk (pretzel). Sometimes it takes a while to learn a new word. Consider pulk to be part of my vocabulary.

31 kommentaari:

Colm ütles ...

Nice story. Reminds me of the time a French friend of mine, whilst on ERASMUS in Ireland, exclaimed: "I love head", at which point all the men in the pub turned their heads in her direction. Of course she meant she liked the white part on a pint of Guinness!

Rainer ütles ...

Well, some people have tried to introduce verbs like "pulkama" or "pulka vihtuma" (referring to youknowwhat;)), so I'm afraid you're not quite out of the woods yet, Giustino :D

Rainer ütles ...

Oh yes, and I heard a right good one today:
how to embarrass foreigners visiting Estonia? Tell them how does "twelve months" sounds in Estonian -

"kasteist kuud".

but what they hear is

"cocks taste good" :P

MikkS ütles ...

suusad on? kepid ka?


pls forgive me :P

antyx ütles ...

You should have asked for a pülk.

Unknown ütles ...

These writer are low, their head roll in the culvert. I am gentle man with you. Though you address your solicitation in the language of rabble, I recognise supplication for technological aid. Were I you, I will select bigger memory stick, as size is of criticism and bring manifold pleasure.

Memory rod with no moving part have no friction but so small. I cuff hand with memory rod to bind so no lose. I do two at one time, so lose one, use other.

LPR ütles ...

Mina üks suurem aju ... ee ... mälu kepp, palun.

lagritsalammas ütles ...
Autor on selle kommentaari eemaldanud.
lagritsalammas ütles ...

One more thing to learn: it's "mälupulk", not "mälu pulk", because if you leave the space in, you create a pair of words where the "pulk" belongs to the "mälu". Like, if these would be English words, "mälu pulk" would mean "mälu's pulk" - "memory's stick".

lagritsalammas ütles ...

oh, and as far as I know, "pülk" now stands for an MP3-player. not that someone would really use the word "pülk" but yeah, it's that way now

plasma-jack ütles ...

that was a student joke, btw (:

oHpuu ütles ...

kepphobune.

Giustino ütles ...

lagritsalammas,

I think the sticker had a space in between the mälu and the pulk. But I fixed the blog title, because you are correct.

Hansken ütles ...

Ajukepp refers to a situation where you are in the situation of being puzzled about something really difficult and you hate the situation or smth.

But what about, then, mälukepp...? Well, maybe it's a good to term to refer to the situation where different nations are intervening to each other's historical concepts and narratives :). I already see an Estonian conservative political commenting on some Russian official's views on Estonian history: "This is bloody mälukepp!" :D

LPR ütles ...

Mälukepp is a form of ajukepp that makes people to believe that they are liberators of some sort. Results in drinking and looting.

LPR ütles ...

anyway, wanna hirnuda your ass off? Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtJRNyPK-lc&NR=1

Frank ütles ...

... brings to mind the episode when Mme de Gaulle conversed in English:

www.snopes.com/quotes/degaulle.asp

Mingus ütles ...

It's cool to see that the 12 months joke has spread, as it was discovered by my friends and I about 10 years ago in a TÜ Estonian class. :)

And why can't you comment anonymously? That's not very freedom-of-speechy.

Giustino ütles ...

I have been getting a lot of crap for the no anonymous policy, so I'll reverse it. During last April's "events" a few too many anonymous Russian posters were floating a "final solution" for Estonia for my liking.

LPR ütles ...

You may have discovered the "kaksteist kuud", but I am the one who invented the umbrella twirl. :-)

lagritsalammas ütles ...

It's very possible that the sticker had a space because seriously, most Estonians suck when it comes to kokku- ja lahkukirjutamine

Mingus ütles ...

What's the umbrella twirl?

LPR ütles ...

See kui keerutad kiiresti vihmavarju nagu keerleks see ise. Mina avastasin selle!

;-)

LPR ütles ...

Leiutasin.

Unknown ütles ...

Little known fact is that the frothy top of a beer is called head because Irish barmen would jizz on Guinness served to Limey scum as protest.

Latvians do the same with their cheese treats and celebrated saldejums. Latvians are not so discriminate.

Indrek ütles ...

Kuidas sõna pülk üldse käändub?
Kas pülk-pülgi või pülk-pülga?

... äkki hoopis pülk-pülje :P

LPR ütles ...

We, estos do the same with sült. That's why it is even called "head-cheese" in English. Pay attention to the look on our faces when we watch you eating it the first time in your life. We cannot wait for your reaction. Of course we laugh like crazy when we hear your opinion. It is always fun.

Anonüümne ütles ...

Testing, testing...

Anonüümne ütles ...

Fakt on fakt.

Listen to that in english...

Anonüümne ütles ...

Reisikepp (traveller's cane), kepikõnd (Nordic walking)... these are polite uses.

Andu ütles ...

This was a perfect opportunity to put up innocent face and embarrass the seller! However I am happy that you learnt a new word.